[rhelv6-list] 6.4 anyone?

Thu Feb 21 16:10:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago)
> I think it would be better to post the official announcement and at
> the same time communicate that they are going to feed the
> mirrors/channels in the next/few hours... more fair in my opinion than
> what is currently in place.

I absolutely disagree.  The aimport should be so at the announcement,
all of the distributed RHN/Customer servers (world-wide) should have a
_full_, "discrete'n complete" changeset you can now sync your RHN
Satellite Server to, or update your systems directly from, RHN.  I
would not want to satellite-sync and find I only received half of an
Update (Point) Release.

Best Practice (Western Hemisphere):  Do your sync's/updates at
lunchtime.  This way if there is any issues, you can address them in
the afternoon.  It also schedules perfectly for Thursday morning
Update (Point) Release announcements.

Better Practice:  Consider the Extended Update Support (EUS)
entitlement [1] for your organization.  I would still recommend EUS
even if you clone channels in RHN Satellite Server (especially for
obvious security reasons).

> Or conversely configure by default that one system will stay at its
> minor version unless manually change.

That's exactly what the Extended Update Support (EUS) entitlement [1]
is for, so you can configure your system to be on a Z-stream (e.g.,
EUS 5.6.z, 6.2.z, etc...).

-- bjs

[1] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

--
Bryan J Smith - Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith