[rhelv6-list] RHEL 6.4 udev just butchered my ethernet device names!

Thu Feb 21 18:08:27 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Just did my first update of RHEL6.4 and experienced a very painful issue
with udev renaming ethernet devices.  Unfortunately, I did not capture the
initial udev ethernet rules prior to the reboot.  My system has an
onboard NIC and a PCIE card.

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5754
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

With RHEL6.3, I had
  eth0 <-- motherboard NIC
  p1p1 <-- port 0 of PCIE card
  p1p2 <-- port 1 of PCIE card

I rebooted and this came to the messages:

Feb 21 10:34:59 d0 kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth2 to rename4
Feb 21 10:34:59 d0 kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth2
Feb 21 10:34:59 d0 kernel: udev: renamed network interface rename4 to eth0

I needed up with
   eth1 <-- port 1 of the PCIE card
   eth2 <-- port 0 of the PCIE card

I repaired my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files and rebooted
again and now got this:

Feb 21 11:47:48 d0 kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth1 to eth2

and the order is a bit different again!  Anybody else having issues like I
am?  Are the pXpX names no longer being used?

thanks,
   daryl