[rhelv6-list] RHEL 6.4 udev just butchered my ethernet device names!

Fri Feb 22 22:41:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM, bjs wrote:
> I'm going to look up the "biosdevname" and related package BZs and get
> the full story, if there is one.
>
> I know upstream Fedora switched to the new nomenclature awhile back
> (and "biodevname" does seem to be installed on all of my Fedora
> systems).  But as I mentioned before, RHEL6 does not, and I'm ignorant
> of the logic whenever it may (Customer opt-in?  Anaconda detection of
> select OEM hardware?  Other?).

It's definitely customer opt-in . The RHEL 6.1 release notes say :

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/6.1_Release_Notes/index.html#idp82636784

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1 introduces biosdevname, an optional
convention for naming network interfaces. biosdevname assigns names to
network interfaces based on their physical location. Note, however
that biosdevname is disabled by default, except for a limited set of
Dell systems.

HTH

--
Fran Garcia