[rhelv6-list] RHEL versions, kernel versions, and supportability

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jul 29 02:53:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 3:28 AM, John McNulty <johnmcn1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 July 2013 14:18, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Kelvin Chu <yskchu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is using a old kernel for a newer release supported?
>>>
>> It is _strongly_ recommended that you use the kernel build appropriate
>> for the user space.
>>

> While it's recommended, the question was whether installing new user space
> rpms without updating the kernel is supported, and the answer is yes.  Red
> Hat recently published this article to clear up confusion on this topic.
> https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/401413

Apparently, you ignored my final statements on the matter.  ;)

  'If not, then issues may arise and/or you may accidentally "re-cover
ground" with Red Hat GSS that has already been addressed in the new Update,
and would have solved your issue.  I've seen this several times myself,
hence why this is my strong, professional recommendation.  YMMV.'

There's a reason why I took the time to explain all of the details, as well
as point out the existence of the Extended Update Support (EUS)
entitlement.  In the overwhelming majority of cases, it's an IHV/ISV with
proprietary software that goes outside the kABI that updates their software
too slow.  EUS and its Z-streams were designed to mitigate those issues.

Again, running newer userspace with older kernels may not only have issues,
but cause one to open tickets and file Bugzillas for issues already
addressed.  And, again, this is from _first-hand_ experience.  In several
cases, EUS received similar kernel updates, something that would not happen
by running and older, unsupported kernel without EUS and its errata kernels
(before we even consider security).

-- bjs