[rhelv6-list] I know this is a stretch, but...

Bill bill at magicdigits.com
Sun Jun 23 14:20:32 UTC 2013

As for the pinout, 2,3,5 on the dsub is all the signal lines you should need, but
sometimes some emulators want more pins shorted together to set the cts/rts or dsr/dtr
signals on. That would be hooking 4 to 6 and 7 to 8 on the dsub.

If you have a volt meter, you should see -12v on the wire you connect to pin 2
compared to the pin you connect to 5. The wire to 3 should float, meaning it should be
able to be shorted to either 2 or 5 without changing the -12v difference between the
two by 1v. This is because the wire to 2 should carry the data from the switch to the
pc and 5 should be the ground. The wire to 3 should carry -12v from the PC back to the
switch.

I have seen pinouts like your chosen diagram, but there are also many where 2,3 are
the red/green (2,3) pair. Many use the black instead of yellow for ground on 5. Every
combination is possible. There has never been a standard. Even within dsubs the
red/green and yel/blk are swapped sometimes.

Be sure your phone cable connects at least 4 wires. Sometimes only the middle 2 are
connected in some phone cables.

Bill Watson
bill at magicdigits.com