[rhelv6-list] console changing input characters to control characters

Wed Mar 20 17:42:27 UTC 2013

We have a system I'd rather not reboot (running grid engine)
which had some random keys input via the KVM.

Thereafter the console in any VT does not show the letter
entered, but rather than control equivalent.  It is like the
caps lock equivalent of control.  If I try to log in as root,
the login prompt shows : ^R^O^O^T

Logging in via ssh is fine.  I've killed all getty processes to
allow them to respawn, but no change.  I see nothing
quite like this on the Linux Terminal howto nor via googling.

Is there a keyboard sequence or process restart which can help?