[rhelv6-list] console changing input characters to control characters

Wed Mar 20 18:02:04 UTC 2013

Try logging in all CAPS as if your keyboard didn't support lower case. If
you get logged in, # stty sane
Bill Watson
bill at magicdigits.com

-----Original Message-----
From: rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago) discussion mailing-list
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:42 AM
To: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago) discussion mailing-list
Subject: [rhelv6-list] console changing input characters to control
characters

We have a system I'd rather not reboot (running grid engine) which had some
random keys input via the KVM.

Thereafter the console in any VT does not show the letter entered, but
rather than control equivalent.  It is like the caps lock equivalent of
control.  If I try to log in as root, the login prompt shows : ^R^O^O^T

Logging in via ssh is fine.  I've killed all getty processes to allow them
to respawn, but no change.  I see nothing quite like this on the Linux
Terminal howto nor via googling.

Is there a keyboard sequence or process restart which can help?