[rhelv6-list] console changing input characters to control

Thu Mar 21 19:06:36 UTC 2013

> We have a system I'd rather not reboot (running grid engine)
> which had some random keys input via the KVM.
>
> Thereafter the console in any VT does not show the letter
> entered, but rather than control equivalent.  It is like the
> caps lock equivalent of control.  If I try to log in as root,
> the login prompt shows : ^R^O^O^T
>
> Logging in via ssh is fine.  I've killed all getty processes to
> allow them to respawn, but no change.  I see nothing
> quite like this on the Linux Terminal howto nor via googling.
>
> Is there a keyboard sequence or process restart which can help?

I can't tell from the info you've provided whether you can actually
get logged in on the console.

If you can, try the magic "fix the terminal" sequence of

ctrl-j

followed (without pressing enter) by typing the command

reset

followed by ctrl-j.  See the man page for tset and reset for more info.

If you *can't* get logged in on the actual console, try logging in
via ssh and then resetting the console via something like

 	sudo stty -F /dev/console sane

Tim