[rhelv6-list] LVM and "unpartioned space"

Marco Shaw marco.shaw at gmail.com
Sun May 12 23:08:03 UTC 2013

I'm playing around trying to see how to resize disks with RHEL6.4 on VMware
Workstation 9.

I installed the OS and used up 20GB of /dev/sda (with /boot, lv_root and
lv_swap).  Then I went in VMware and increased the disk (/dev/sda) from
20GB to 25GB.

Now in the LVM GUI, I see that extra 5GB in /dev/sda as "Unpartioned
space".  Specifically in the LVM *GUI*, can I do anything with this space
to make it usable?  Do I have to go to the command-line to create a
partition first?

Also:
sg3_utils has a "scsi-rescan" command (reference
http://jreypo.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/how-to-rescan-the-scsi-bus-in-linux/).
Is there a GUI equivalent?