[rhelv6-list] NFS ID map?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Oct 22 18:08:13 UTC 2013

NFS4 uses rpc.idmapd, not longer using UID/GID.  So as long as the
user and group names match, you don't have to worry about UID/GID at
all.

One thing to keep in-mind is that it's actually more than just the
names.  It's actually a principal -- i.e., user at REALM.  So either you
have to use Kerberos, or set the appropriate Domain (defaults to
domain name of system) and/or Local-Realm (equivalent aliases) in the
file idmapd.conf itself.

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net> wrote:
> I've got some systems that I'm replacing, and while migrating data from
> the old NFS servers to the new NFS servers, I ran into a dumb mistake:
> the user/group IDs don't match between the old and new (I thought I was
> going to be able to shut down the old services, sync the data, and bring
> up the new, so it didn't matter then, but that isn't going to work).
>
> I know NFS has some type of ID mapping, but I've never messed with it.
> Is this something that it can help with?
>
> I have data owned by 500/500, accessed by a service running as 500/500,
> but the new NFS server ended up with the user as 1000/1000 (and I need
> to mount the new storage on the old servers for migration).
>
> Any suggestions, or am I stuck with reconfiguring all the new stuff to
> use the old user/group IDs?
> --
> Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>

Bryan J Smith - Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith