[rhelv6-list] NFS ID map?

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Tue Oct 22 18:39:14 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> said:
> NFS4 uses rpc.idmapd, not longer using UID/GID.  So as long as the
> user and group names match, you don't have to worry about UID/GID at
> all.

Okay, that sounds good.

> One thing to keep in-mind is that it's actually more than just the
> names.  It's actually a principal -- i.e., user at REALM.  So either you
> have to use Kerberos, or set the appropriate Domain (defaults to
> domain name of system) and/or Local-Realm (equivalent aliases) in the
> file idmapd.conf itself.

Okay, thanks.  I've never messed with NFS ID mapping before (always just
made sure everything matched).

However, a new problem: the existing mounts are NFSv3.  I can get one of
the new (RHEL 6) servers to access the share via NFSv4, but I can't get
an NFSv4 mount to work on the old server (running RHEL 5).  I added the
export with a call to exportfs like:

# exportfs -i -o sync,rw,no_root_squash x.x.x.x/x:/srv/foo

The RHEL 6 clients can mount -t nfs4 x.x.x.x:/foo, but the RHEL 5
clients get a "No such file or directory" for a "-t nfs4" mount (I tried
both /foo and /srv/foo).  NFSv3 works just fine.  From what I
understand, NFSv4 mounts are handled in the kernel, rather than with
rpc.mountd, so maybe I'm not getting something updated right?

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>