[rhelv6-list] NFS ID map?

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Tue Oct 22 19:35:17 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu> said:
> Are you using Kerberos with NFSv4?  If not, then the numeric UIDs
> and GIDs still must match.  idmapd *will* map usernames for display
> purposes (i.e. what 'ls -l' sees), but the numeric IDs are still
> used for permissions. Clear as mud, ain't it?

Oh, that may be why I've always been confused by the ID mapping (and
avoided it).  Now, I'm not using Kerberos, so it sounds like the ID
mapping won't actually help me with my problem.  <sigh>

What's the point of ID mapping if it only maps them in some places?
That's terribly confusing.

stat() sees the numeric ID mapped (and chown()), but I guess open()
permission checks don't?

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>