[rhelv6-list] what does hostid return?

Brown, Hugh M hugh-brown at uiowa.edu
Fri Apr 4 14:46:26 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Mirko Vukovic
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2014 9:35 AM
To: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago) discussion mailing-list
Subject: [rhelv6-list] what does hostid return?

Hello,

A software vendor asked me to provide a hostid for a software license.

I typed in hostid, got an eight digit hexadecimal number and emailed it to them.

However, they were looking for a 12 digit hex number.

I sent them the hardware address of eth0.

My question is: how is the hostid number obtained?  Is it from a disk drive, or some other hardware.  I could not find information online.

Thank you,

Mirko

I've seen hostid used for products that are using FlexLM as a licensing daemon. It's typically just the MAC address of the 'primary' interface. I haven't had to deal with the situation where the system had multiple active interfaces though. The command for FlexLM licensed products is lmhostid and is part of the flexlm install.

HTH,

Hugh