[rhelv6-list] How to get rid IPv6 address for localhost in /etc/hosts

Stromas, Aaron aaron.stromas at rsa.com
Thu Apr 17 13:38:14 UTC 2014

Greetings,

On reboot an IPv6 address for the localhost is added to the /etc/hosts:

The problem is that I have a system started from /etc/init.d/ which fails resolving the IPv6 address of the localhost.
I have already disabled IPv6 following https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv6-list/2011-March/msg00021.html.

I tried a little trick copying replacing the /etc/hosts file from /etc/init.d/network which works when I restart network
Service using "service network restart" but after each reboot the blasted line reappears in /etc/hosts.

Can anyone offer a real solution? TIA

Best regards,

-aaron