[rhelv6-list] Home-brew SAN for virtualization

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Tue Feb 25 23:42:36 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> said:
> Is that SAS device multi-targetable?  I.e., same, shared storage
> between multiple nodes?  If so, then it may be directly usable by
> multiple KVM nodes simultaneously (managed by oVirt), no Gluster
> needed.

It has two controllers with two SAS ports each; it is set up where each
storage server has a SAS connection to each MD3000 controller (multipath
for redundancy).

While the long-term goal is oVirt (or maybe RHEV, but the budget is
tight for this setup), and possibly Gluster, unfortunately that isn't an
option at the moment.  I have the stack of Xen servers with full hard
drives and no centralized management, two storage servers, and the SAS
shelf, and I need more disk ASAP (might have a couple of weeks to get it
running but that's about it).

Now, getting something up and running to handle today's needs, with a
path to oVirt/Gluster later, would be ideal.  I haven't actually used
Gluster myself though (just read some about it in the past).  In this
kind of setup, what would the storage look like locally (on the
directly-attached servers)?  Would I be able to create a regular LVM
setup, with an FS (ext4/xfs) to share out some space via NFS today, and
then later use the rest of the space for Gluster?

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>