[rhelv6-list] Gnome - KDE Desktop switching in RHEL6

Brown, Hugh M hugh-brown at uiowa.edu
Fri Feb 7 23:41:13 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Horst Severini
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2014 5:06 PM
To: rhelv6-list at redhat.com
Subject: [rhelv6-list] Gnome - KDE Desktop switching in RHEL6

Hi all,

we are working on upgrading our desktop cluster from RHEL5 to RHEL6, and
we think we have a workable solution that involves bringing up the new
machines with ROCKS 6.1 and the RHEL 6.5 ISO, and then doing some
post-config via scripts, but when we do that, we only have Gnome
available at the login screen, and we can't figure out how to make KDE
available as well.

We have all the KDE RPMs installed (that I know of), via

yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

and I have compared the list of installed RPMs with one RHEL6 test
install we did manually, and I can't figure out what's missing, since
everything that looks like it's even remotely related to KDE and desktop
switching is already installed, so I don't know why the ROCKS installed
machines don't show the desktop switcher box at the bottom of the login
screen.

I tried googling around, but haven't quite found the right page yet.
What are we missing?

Thanks a lot,

	Horst

gdm uses the *.desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions to determine which choices to make available at login time.
/usr/share/xsessions/kdm.desktop is owned by the kdebase-workspace rpm which is part of the kde-desktop yum group.

If the file is there, I'd make sure the permissions are correct on it.

Hugh