[rhelv6-list] Subscription Management

Derek Yarnell derek at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Jun 11 00:36:20 UTC 2014

Maybe someone can give me a little direction in how to deal with the new
subscription management requirement for RHEL7.  We have always used RHN
Classic with activation keys.  This worked great and we use a RHN Proxy
only (no satellite, we already have years of man hours invested in
Cobbler and Puppet).

I created a case in December when the beta was released and got very
vague answers and didn't have time to deal with it.  It seems that you
can no longer use an activation key unless you have SAM.  This looks to
be licensed separately which is hilarious that you have to pay manage
the licenses that you already payed for.  I have re-opened that case but
wanted to ask others what they have been doing with this.

Putting a username and password in a kickstart script[1] seems stupid,
the activation key was not perfect but at least the exposure was minimal.

Subscription Management really seems to be more about Red Hat imposing
draconian licensing hurdles on me as a customer rather than helping me
solve any real problems[2].

[1] -
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Subscription_Management/1/html/Subscription_Concepts_and_Workflows/kickstart.html
[2] - https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/502883