[rhelv6-list] cannot su to any users, cannot login via console.

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 14:07:06 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Vu Pham <vu at sivell.com> wrote:

> System: RHEL 6.5
>
> Although I can log in to non-root users via ssh, I cannot su to any users,
> root or non-root. When using su, after typing in the user name, the su
> command just hangs there without the password prompt.
>
> When trying to login from the console, the password prompt never shows,
> and after a few minutes, the screen is cleared and the login prompt shows
> again.
> I cannot log in to root via ssh, because it is disabled by the sshd config
> file.
>

> top shows dbus-daemon get %100 CPU.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Vu

Do you have ldap configured on your system perhaps?
In that case you could have a problem with it causing the problem...
because messagebus runs as dbus local user

In that case, if not already there, you could put inside /etc/nslcd.conf a
line to ignore group membership lookups for dbus

nss_initgroups_ignoreusers root,ldap,named,.....,dbus

the "...." above is to be substituted with a comma seprated list of other
local users you want not to make lookup for.

if you can make that change you can start in single user mode and change
from there.
Also, during boot you could have problems with messagebus service to start
and proceed the boot because of this.
There are other parameters to tune config files in case of problems with
ldap.... if this is the problem

HIH,
Gianluca