[rhelv6-list] Kickstarting RHEL7

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 13 09:40:01 UTC 2014

Hi Guys,

Apologies for using the RHEL6 list for a RHEL7 issue.  But in the absence of
an official RHEL7 discussion list...

I'm trying to manually kickstart a RHEL7 Workstation.  By which I mean
booting from a USB stick, specifying network details manually once the
install screens appear, and then specifying the installation method as HTTP
and giving the URL.

As I've done with RHELs 3-6 I copied the vmlinuz and initrd.img from the
ISO's /images/pxeboot directory to a USB stick and added a section to the
stick's syslinux.cfg of the form:

label manual7-64
   kernel vmli7-64
   append initrd=init7-64.img

Booting from the stick, at the boot: prompt I then type "manual7-64".  This
causes the usual boot scroll I'm used to... until it ends with

dracut-initqueue[620]: mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
dracut-initqueue[620]: Warning: Couldn't mount /dev/sr0
dracut-initqueue[620]: Warning: no suitable images
dracut-initqueue[620]: Warning: Could not boot.
dracut-initqueue[620]: Warning: /dev/root does not exist

It then drops to a dracut emergency shell and seems to have run sosreport
(which doesn't seem to contain anything helpful).

What am I missing, please?  Do I need to specify something to tell it not to
look at the DVD drive?

Ben