[rhelv6-list] rhelv6-list Digest, Vol 44, Issue 4

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Jun 13 22:01:17 UTC 2014

​
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu> wrote:

> I'm right there with you regarding frustration about this.
> We *are* a Satellite user, so in many ways we have it even worse than
> you do.  It's not clear to me what Red Hat expects current Satellite
> customers to do.

Red Hat Satellite 5.6 works perfectly fine with RHEL7 -- Beta and now GA.
[1]

So far,
>         https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/887923
> is the best catch-all document I've seen, relating to differences and
> trouble spots that people are having.  I have, however, been completely
> unable to find any documentation on what current Satellite customers
> are supposed to do regarding the new subscription management requirement
> for 7.

If you have Satellite, you don't have to use Subscription Management.

If you don't have Satellite, and don't want to use on-line Red Hat "hosted"
Subscription Management, then Subscription Asset Manager (SAM) is now the
solution.  SAM allows off-line, internal usage, unlike Classic without
Satellite.

SAM is compatible with RHEL5.8+, RHEL6 and RHEL7, and has been around for 3
years.

Even if RHEL 7 turns out to be well-engineered from the start, Red Hat
> really dropped the ball on the communication component.

>From my own experience, nothing has changed since December at the start of
the RHEL7 Beta, when the Beta channels became available in the Content
Delivery Network (CDN). [1a]

The only issue I know of was when doing an minimal install.  Only the
Subscription Manager tools are installed, and not the rhn_setup package
required for Satellite. [1b]

SIDE NOTE:  The RHEL7 Release Candidate (RC) didn't have channels separate
from the Beta channels. [1c]

As always, new software channels in the CDN often require a new
certificate.  These can be generated with the self-service tool. [2]

This is one of the many reasons why I see Red Hat regularly encourage
customers to sync the channels and test them with their existing
provisioning and deployment workflow.  I always make a point to test
Satellite with any new certificate and channels whenever they become
available.  RHEL7 Beta and GA went much smoother for myself using Satellite
5.6 than even RHEL6 Beta and GA did back with 5.4.

So, unless there is an experience I missed that you are running into,
Satellite 5.6 should have "just worked" for RHEL7 (after generating a new
certificate, of course).  Even the Kickstarts have limited changes
required, other than some comp.xml groupings and related details that may
change with every, major update.  Again, I ran into no issues myself back
in December, and nothing else with GA.

Definitely reach out to Red Hat GSS and/or your representative if you're
having any issues.

-- bjs

P.S.  Per the article, RHEL7 requires Satellite 5.6 for new platform
channel-tool support.  This is no different than back in 2010, when RHEL6
also required customers to be on Satellite 5.4 for new channel-tool support
as well.

[1] https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/916273
[1a] https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/737373
[1b] https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/649023
[1c] https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/883343

​[2] ​https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/systems/GenerateCertificate.do

--
Bryan J Smith - UCF '97 Engr
"In a way, Bortles is the personification of the UCF football

​