[rhelv6-list] RHEL6 write barriers on MD and LVM devices

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Sat Mar 15 13:54:18 UTC 2014

Hi everyone..
I've seen a lot of conflicting information with respect to support of
write barriers on MD and LVM devices under RHEL6.  I'm surprised that
this question hasn't come up on this list before! I'm building a system
with MD RAID10, and putting LVM on top of it, using ext4 filesystems.
I'd like to know whether write barriers are supported through the
complete chain in this environment.   When I mount the filesystems,
there are no kernel errors that barriers are not supported, but I don't
want to be under the false impression that barriers "appear" to be
supported, yet are not.  For example, I've read that barriers were only
supported on MD at all levels in 2.6.33 (previously only RAID1). While
RHEL6 is based on 2.6.32, I "assume" that RH would backport an important
change like that, or, at least have a warning in the documentation, but
I can't find any mention of this.  I've also read quite mixed messages
about barrier support in LVM as well. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jason.