[rhelv6-list] Identifying shared memory that has been swapped?

Collins, Kevin [Contractor Acquisition Program] KCollins at chevron.com
Wed Mar 19 20:34:02 UTC 2014

Myself and a co-worker are looking into some memory related issues on RHEL6 running SAP.

We are seeing large amounts of memory being swapped (with 'free -mt'), but investigating the total size of swapped memory owned by processes via /proc/PID/smaps is falling well short of the actual amount of swap used.

>From some testing, it would appear that shared memory which was swapped out but is not currently attached to any process(es) remains swapped out and we have no visibility to it.

Is anyone aware of any way to get visibility into these "un-owned" swapped pages?

We are not able to delete the shared memory segments as SAP expects them to exist for any new processes to use.

Thanks,

Kevin