[rhelv6-list] bonding

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Sun Feb 22 20:29:32 UTC 2015

I've setup bonding between two 1 Gb/s interfaces using ..

Bonding Mode: load balancing (xor)
Transmit Hash Policy: layer2+3 (2)

The link is up, and I can access it from various hosts.

I have a group of identical clients.  If I ping/ssh from each of those
clients, then one of these things happens:
1) traffic goes over 1 interface of the bond
2) traffic goes over the other interface of the bond
3) traffic goes over BOTH interfaces .... (client -> server over one
NIC, and server -> client over the other)

I can understand 1 & 2 - but why 3?

Finally, is there any way with balance-xor (and without special switch
support) to ensure a load balance in such a way that if one interface is
too busy, the other is used?
(Eg. clientA talks to the serverA over NIC1 of 2.  ClientA uses NIC1 to
capacity.  ClientB also wants to talk to serverA, and because of MAC
ADDR/IP is assigned to NIC1 of the bond -- but NIC1 is too busy - NIC2
isn't being used though...  Can ClientB be assigned NIC2 instead)

Jason.