[rhelv6-list] Subscription Manager functionality

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 30 12:20:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Derek Yarnell wrote:

> On 1/15/15 5:12 AM, Ben wrote:
>
>> Can someone, anyone, tell me when Subscription Manager (which I'm
>> assuming is under https://access.redhat.com/management/) is going to gain
>> any of the useful functionality of Red Hat network Classic (Hosted), when
>> used with Smart Management entitlements/subscriptions? That is to say:
>>
>> - Software channel entitlements listing
>> - Listing systems by out of date/virtual/unentitled/inactive/recently registered
>> - System Set Manager
>> - Groups of any kind, and showing ungrouped systems
>> - Scheduling
>> - Profiles
>> - Even just being able to see how many Errata and Packages a system is behind on and to drill down to look at each of the above
>
> We are in the transition to Satellite from about 1000 nodes using proxy
> and RHN.  Unfortunately SAM to my understanding will never be getting the
> features that made RHN Classic hosted useful.  SAM seems to only be
> analogous to what seems to be the now defunct Proxy product.

Well, that's just silly.  Are they just expecting we'll all install a local
Satellite as a matter of course?

> We had SAM for our RHEL7 hosts because it was required but after talking
> with Red Hat they told me my only avenue was to get Satellite for patch
> level functionality.

Very silly.

> I really don't understand what Red Hat wants to position for non-satellite
> users to use even just get a basic is this system up to date status.

Would someone from Red Hat care to weigh in and tell us what where we're
supposed to find the functionality of RHN Classic, once RHN Classic has
gone, please?

With grateful thanks,

Ben
--
Unix Support, UIS, University of Cambridge, England