[rhelv6-list] THP: Why are they on by default?

Troels Arvin troels at arvin.dk
Wed Feb 17 16:44:44 UTC 2016

I've just had a situation with an RHEL 7 server where transparent
hugepages (THP) might have contributed to a problem. And there are many
projects/products which recommend turning THP off, eg:

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/UNXAR/appi_vlm.htm
http://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/
cdh_admin_performance.html
https://docs.mongodb.org/manual/tutorial/transparent-huge-pages/
http://www.chriscalender.com/disabling-transparent-hugepages-for-tokudb/

I have also seen reports about THP ruining the performance on
workstations.

So which workloads actually benefit significantly from THP?

Does someone know if Red Hat has considered turning them off by default?

(There doesn't seem to be a mailing list for RHEL 7, so I'm using this
mailing list instead. Which should be OK, as I believe there isn't much
difference WRT THP between RHEL 6 and 7.)

--
Troels Arvin