[rhelv6-list] THP: Why are they on by default?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Feb 17 19:11:55 UTC 2016

solarflow99 <solarflow99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I really miss the mailing lists, I wish they had a way of gating them with
> the lousy web forums.

That used to be possible ... before the days of GMail and users being
ignorant of Message-ID threading in NNTP/SMTP.

There is reddit, which I also think is lousy.  But in all honesty, the
Red Hat Access Portal does allow one to search issues a lot better
than one could a mailing list ...

Or even Google for that matter.

I.e., I used to put in site:redhat.com on Google to make sure I didn't
get "enthusiast" answers instead of RHEL ones, but now I just use the
Portal.

It's pretty good at concentrating a lot of knowledge, which is then
marked verified, unverified, etc... with comments and additives,
ratings, etc...

Yes, I miss the days of NNTP/SMTP integrated web forums.  But those
are now gone.  Again, GMail generation ignorant of Message-ID
tracking.

-- bjs

--
Bryan J Smith - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith