[rhelv6-list] Installing MySQLdb for python2.7 in RHEL 6

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 18:18:51 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:27 PM, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> Any reason you guys aren't using [Red Hat] Software Collections
> ([RH]SCL) [1a] or Downstream (e.g., CentOS) [1b]?  Related Red Hat
> Solution Article. [2]
>
> Understand you're attempting to load newer, Upstream software on
> older, sustained RHEL releases.  That's rarely ideal, and you're going
> to be upgrading and breaking things.
>
> Instead, use what Red Hat came up with ...
>
> Red Hat came up with Software Collections so one can run newer
> database (e.g., MariaDB), scripting language (e.g., PHP, Python,
> etc...) and other versions, on older RHEL releases, like RHEL6.  And
> Red Hat then maintains them (i.e., security backports) for 3+ years.
> [3]
>
> All supported, without all of the hacking and mess of trying to
> replace the core RHEL packages.  They are installed under /opt and
> enabled using a set of fully supported Red Hat tools and procedures.
>
> E.g., the list of versions included with [RH]SCL 2.1, most supported
> through 2018, are in the 2.1 Release Notes, Section 1.2 [4], and
> include ...
>  - PHP 5.6.5 (w/Pear 1.9.5), among earlier (5.5 and 5.4) versions
>  - Python 2.7.8 and Python 3.4.2
>  - MariaDB 10.0.17 and MySQL 5.6.24
> ... among others
>
> Again, Software Collections is by Red Hat and designed to co-exist
> with core scripting languages included with RHEL, while still
> sustained for 3+ years from release, with Red Hat regularly releasing
> newer Software Collection versions (about every 18-24 months or so).
>
> -- bjs
>
> [1a] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-software-collections/
> [1b] https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/
>
> [2] https://access.redhat.com/solutions/472793
>
> [3] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/rhscl
>
> [4] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Software_Collections/2/html/2.1_Release_Notes/chap-RHSCL.html#sect-RHSCL-Features

Thanks to everyone for the help. I finally got this going.

As for your questions, this is a new client I just started working for
the other day. Some key people have quit and no one really knows
anything about their environment. There is no sys admin (and I am
developer and don't want to be a sysadmin).

I was asked to come in and build a django app, so that I what I am
working on. It's not in the scope of my job to redo their entire set
up. All I can recommend is that they hire an experienced admin to do
that.