[rhelv6-list] fsck -n always showing errors

francis picabia fpicabia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 15:05:04 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu> wrote:

> In regard to: rhelv6-list Digest, Vol 76, Issue 1,
> rhelv6-list-request at redh...:
>
> This isn't something we routinely look at, but after
>> a couple of VMware systems showing scsi errors, I noticed almost
>> every Redhat 6 system will show some disk errors from
>> something like fsck -n / or same on /var
>>
>> # fsck -n /
>> fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
>> e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
>> Warning!  /dev/sda1 is mounted.
>>

> There's your problem.  Don't run fsck on a mounted filesystem.  Even
> with -n, it just shows you false positives.
>
> Do some web searching for
>
>         fsck on a mounted filesystem
>
> to understand why.

Well, I think they make the -n/-N flag in fsck for some purpose other than
don't do it.
It is designed to be run on a system to check it without modifying.

My conclusion is it is only useful for seeing an error such as orphaned
inodes which are persistent across multiple runs of fsck -n

If there are other checksums and such that don't seem correct, that would
be expected
on a live filesystem.