Re: [rhelv6-list] fsck -n always showing errors

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 9:27 PM, francis picabia <fpicabia gmail com> wrote:

With one development box I did touch /forcefsck and rebooted.
Retested fsck and still issues.  Repeated this cycle 3 times
and no improvement.

Hi,
not going into the reasons of the problem, but into your "cycle".
if I have understood correctly your sentence, you run fsck and use "-n" option that automatically answers "no" to all the questions related to problems and suggestions to fix them.
So, as you didn't fix anything, the next run the fsck command exposes the same problems again....

Sometimes I have seen in vSphere environments storage problems causing linux VMs problems and so kernel to automatically put one or more filesystems in read-only mode: typically the filesystems where there were writes in action during the problem occurrence.
So in your case it could be something similar with impact to all the VMs insisting on the problematic storage / datastore
If you have no monitoring in place, such as Nagios and a monitor like this:
https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Operating-Systems/Linux/check_ro_mounts/details
you can go ahead also some days before realizing that you had a problem
Analyzing /var/log/messages you should see when it happened

Take in mind that if the filesystem went in read-only mode due to a SCSI error (action taken by the kernel to prevent further errors and data corruption), you will not be able to remount it read-write, but you have to reboot the server.

Just a guess.
HIH,
Gianluca