Re: [rhelv6-list] fsck -n always showing errors

Have you checked the filesystem from a rescue disk or does the fsck on reboot report that it is fixing errors each time? As far as I understand running `fsck -n /` on the active root filesystem will most always return some errors as the blocks in the filesystem are changing while the fsck is running it’s passes. Thus the warning at the beginning of the process about the filesystem being mounted. Sorry if I am misunderstanding your process, but if you have not tried checking the filesystem after booting into rescue mode that would be a good step.

From: rhelv6-list-bounces redhat com [mailto:rhelv6-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of francis picabia
Sent: December 21, 2017 07:21
To: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago) discussion mailing-list <rhelv6-list redhat com>
Subject: Re: [rhelv6-list] fsck -n always showing errors

fsck -n is used to verify only.

The touch on /forcefsck will force a regular fsck on unmounted

partitions on boot up.

So what I've done is:

fsck -n

touch /forcefsck

reboot

times three.

It should be actually fixing the problems on reboot.

I can find there are at least some fsck errors on every Redhat 6 machine,

whether virtual or physical.  I mean I've tested the fsck -n status on about

twelve systems which have some errors.  Only 2 showed a history

of SCSI errors, both happening to be VMware.

Maybe some other people can test this on their Redhat 6 systems

and see if fsck -n /var or similar comes back clean.  You might

be surprised to see the same state I've noticed.  There is

no issue like read-only file system.   Everything is functional.