Re: [rhelv6-list] fsck -n always showing errors

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Tim Mooney <Tim Mooney ndsu edu> wrote:
In regard to: rhelv6-list Digest, Vol 76, Issue 1, rhelv6-list-request redh :

This isn't something we routinely look at, but after
a couple of VMware systems showing scsi errors, I noticed almost
every Redhat 6 system will show some disk errors from
something like fsck -n / or same on /var

# fsck -n /
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Warning!  /dev/sda1 is mounted.

There's your problem.  Don't run fsck on a mounted filesystem.  Even
with -n, it just shows you false positives.

Do some web searching for

        fsck on a mounted filesystem

to understand why.

Well, I think they make the -n/-N flag in fsck for some purpose other than don't do it.
It is designed to be run on a system to check it without modifying.

My conclusion is it is only useful for seeing an error such as orphaned
inodes which are persistent across multiple runs of fsck -n

If there are other checksums and such that don't seem correct, that would be expected
on a live filesystem.