[rhelv6-list] Apache 2.2 EOL - what is Red Hat's story for RHEL6?

Bryan Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Sep 25 02:31:52 UTC 2017

[ Sorry, missed this traffic the past 10 days due to other foci ]

Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jonathan.  Of course I saw that answer but it seemed speculative.
> I am looking for an official statement.

And now you know why both current and former Red Hat associates almost
_always_ use their GMail and other, "personal" address here.  ;)

I.e., you're looking for "official statements" from Red Hat on a
"community supported" list.

Again, I posted Solution [445713] to directly answer what you asked.
There a good, dozen other solutions linked in just that solution
alone.

Which brings me too ...

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> If you are looking for an official statement on a Red Hat product, you
> should contact the Red Hat directly or go through the
> access.redhat.com to find what you are wanting. While some of the
> CentOS developers work for Red Hat, they do not have special knowledge
> about what is going to happen in future releases or anything beyond
> what was provided in the other emails.

You _really_ should talk to your Red Hat representative.  They can
better explain to you all the solutions I linked to.

E.g., how and why the backporting is done, how long things are
supported, like Apache 2.2.15 in RHEL 6, etc... all those details in
the solution I posted, and all the support solutions it links to.

Your Red Hat representative can not only explain this fully to you,
and how they are backporting security fixes -- but I assume this is
because your security team, or management, or both, are "grilling" you
on the "end of life" aspect of Apache 2.2 "Upstream."

Typical Rule-of-Thumb:  *NONE* of that *EVER* applies to a RHEL release.

Again, your Red Hat representatives can give you the "official
statement" in that regard.  Never seek it on _any_ "community" list,
especially if you're not following the details in the Solutions
provided.

- bjs

--
Bryan J Smith  -  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith