Re: Introduction to a new SIG for creation of Live DVD

On 09/14/2009 12:05 PM, John Reiser wrote:
>> Deltaisos are capable of saving roughly half the download size in
>> going from Fedora N to Fedora (N+1), but only work for installation
>> images, not live images.  Is there any form of delta compression for
>> live images which is competitive with this?
>
> It hasn't been productized, but approximately:
>    unsquashfs  old-Live.img  old-Live.tree   # local  ("slave")
>    unsquashfs  new-Live.img  new-Live.tree   # remote ("master")
>    rsync  remote:new-Live.tree  local:old-Live.tree   # "delta
> compression" happens here
>    mksquashfs  old-Live.tree new-Live.img   # local

Has anyone tried this on existing live images to see how much is saved
(say going from a Fedora N to Fedora (N+1) Live CD)?  I'm skeptical that
rsync, which is completely general, would be as efficient as something
specialized such as {make,apply}deltaiso.  It may be necessary for
someone to create a specialized tool for delta compression between live
images, in order to be able to compress as well as deltaisos currently
do for the install images.