Re: Xinetd resurrection

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb redhat com> wrote:
>> I always thought that one reason for xinetd was the capability of running
>> network servers without actually having any network code in the server.
>
> Its network code, it just doesn't do listen/accept. :) Of course xinetd also
> takes care of restricting access a number of ways like time of day , network,
> tcp_wrappers, and setting up the uid/group...

Yes. I use it to write small network services and not have to worry
about implementing all the rate control and access limiting stuff.

And some of these services are written in python, and seldom used;
xinetd saves a ton of memory.

In other words, xinetd is a saviour when you are running OLPC's School
Servers :-)

 martin langhoff gmail com
 martin laptop org -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions