Re: Anaconda multiple Ethernet cards question

On 09/21/2009 05:12 PM, John Reiser wrote:
On 09/21/2009 06:33 AM, Aioanei Rares wrote:
On 09/21/2009 04:33 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:

If you've got two network cards of the same kind, they're going to have
the same description. Also the UI is constrained to something like<70
characters

They're different; and listing the description string looks more
important to the user than listing the MAC.

The top 24 bits of the MAC are *assigned* by manufacturer.

Print the low 24 bits as 6 hex digits (possibly with no punctuation),
and chop the description string after 22 characters (for example.)

My python-fu is far too weak to start hacking on Anaconda. I was only trying to make a point from a user's perspective (who might not even know what a MAC address is).