Re: yum-presto not on by default

On 09/23/2009 07:17 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Andre Robatino (andre bwh harvard edu) said:
If I understand correctly what the problem is - that successfully
xz-uncompressing a file requires being on the same endian arch as the
one it was compressed on - that's just wrong.  It shouldn't be
platform-dependent at all.

That is not the issue. There are two issues:

- Compressing a file on different arches, while it produces output
that any arch can decompress, does produce *different* output.
- Compression of xz is not fast.

Bill

man xz
"When compressing, xz automatically adjusts the compression settings downwards if the memory usage limit would be exceeded, so it is safe to specify a high preset level even on systems that don’t have lots of RAM."

I hope we turned off this "feature" in rpm's use of xz as well.

Warren