Re: Opinions on packaging ATLAS (for the x86 architecture)

Once upon a time, Deji Akingunola <dakingun gmail com> said:
> I am trying to decide
> which variant to provide as the default one that would be picked to
> satisfy atlas library dependency out of the following 2 possibilities;

Isn't there a way to have run-time choosing of which variant to use,
based on running CPU functionality?  I know glibc (or is it ld.so) can
do some level of load-time choosing of optimized libraries based on CPU
features.  An alternative would be to have a wrapper library that checks
functionality and dlopen()s the best match.

Having different packages (that may conflict with each other) means you
can't easily switch between versions, and if you chose the wrong version
(or move a hard drive to a different box), your programs crash
unexpectedly.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>