Re: Opinions on packaging ATLAS (for the x86 architecture)

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 16:30 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> Well, my point was that packages that do respect CFLAGS get built
> currently with certain options, and however Atlas builds, the default
> package should have comparable options. On x86, I see that is
> presently -march=i686 -mtune=atom, and IIRC -march=i686 implies sse
> and sse2 (not sure about sse3). Anyway, whatever it implies, I think
> that should be the default for the main Atlas package too.

No, -march=i686 does not use SSE; excerpt from gcc man page:

i686 Same as "generic", but when used as "march" option, PentiumPro
     instruction set will be used, so the code will run on all i686
     family chips.

--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor