Re: status of forked zlibs in rsync and zsync

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:27:44AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> So... that means the custom zlib isn't necessary to the proper operation
> of deltarpm, correct?  I haven't looked at where in the code this is
> being used yet but I'm guessing this zlib is used when:
>
> 1) Reading the existing rpm -- this should work with vanilla zlib as well
> 2) Compressing the deltarpm -- this should work with vanilla zlib, just
> not be as kind to rsync.

No, things are a bit different. Fedora's rpm used to have a
modified copy of zlib so that the created rpms were more rsync
friendly. As deltarpm needs to recreate the same compressed
payload I also had to support this.

AFAIK the current rpm uses the system's zlib library, so the
deltarpm copy is also no longer needed for Fedora.

Cheers,
  Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder                                   mls suse de