[rhn-users] Sendmail makemap hash problem

 Hi,
   I am running Red Hat 9.0 which I upgraded from 8.0
   In 8.0 version, updating virtusertable and running
makemap hash was not a problem.
   What I am experiencing now is, when I issue a command

makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable < /etc/mail/virtusertable

All I ken see is major disk drive activity and system becomes
unusable.

Can someone help?
Thank you,