Re: [rhn-users] questions on recent survey

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Daniel Manley wrote:

> Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 11:57:49 -0400
> From: Daniel Manley <daniel manley name>
> To: rhn-users redhat com
> Subject: [rhn-users] questions on recent survey
>
> Hi,
>
> I just filled in the recent survey to demo users and have some comments
> regarding the last two questions...
>
> The one about the applications we use -- you list some DBs and
> application servers and then a choice is "other 3rd party" and also
> "none of the above" -- wouldn't you never select "none of the above"
> because almost everyone uses a 3-rd party application of some sorts.  I
> think the question should have been more specific as to the type of
> applications you were looking for.  But I did notice that the apps you
> listed were all commercial (neither postgresql or mysql were there).
>
> The last question asked about the distro's of linux people use.  Debian
> was not listed there -- but UnitedLinux and Sun Linux were.  I don't
> know much about Debian, but I'm sure it is much more widely used than
> UnitedLinux and Sun.  Was Slackware there too? (I can't remember now).
>
> But thanks RedHat for the RHN, which I find very useful, and your
> distribution of Linux, which I love the most.
>
> Regards,
> Dan Manley

Am I the only rhn-user retired from Academia and no longer in an academic
network?  I don't believe so.  But most of the time, when I don't battle
against RHLinux 8.0 shortcomings, the applications I use are ALL 3rd
party and non-commercial: primarily the mail system Pine from the University
of Washington, and TeX and its ramifications, originally from Donald Knuth
of Stanford University, and now from a multitude of sources.  There is also
XFree, Emacs, and a host of other contributed software -- thank Heaven
for GNU.  All of this is 3rd party, and indispensabble for my work.

Oswald Wyler <owyler suscom-maine net>