[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

RE: [rhn-users] HELP!! Bad blocks when installing RH9. What should I do?



Title: Message
This is not a hard and fast rule.  It will depend on lots of factors, hardware, bus, disk type, bus load, application...if it is important to you, you have to run benchmark tests of some sort.  If not, give it somewhere between 1.5 and 2x for current kernel technology and let it go.
 
One cool thing about Solaris is that they have another layer of indirection in the memory management and if you have enough RAM, you can do without *any* swap.  Eventually linux will probably get there as well.
 
I've often wondered why the disk drive manufacturers don't make a disk device specifically for a swap drive.  Its merely an extension of current technologies.   Now that almost all business computers need a swap partition, it would seem a logical thing to do.  They could, in fact, make a disk specifically for the OS and swap: one drive motor, two voice coils and head assy.  Split the disk into two sets of cylinders, inner and outer.  One set could be 80% of the space and the other 20% (or 90/10).  Imagine one device that would have a dedicated 2 Gig swap area and a dedicated 16G root partition.  Maybe they already tried it and the performance increase isn't worth the extra device cost.
 
Hattie Rouge 
-----Original Message-----
From: rhn-users-admin redhat com [mailto:rhn-users-admin redhat com] On Behalf Of Thomas J. Mackie III
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 6:37 PM
To: rhn-users redhat com
Subject: RE: [rhn-users] HELP!! Bad blocks when installing RH9. What should I do?

I could be wrong but yep your right.. 2x memory.. Anything above that tends to decrease performance of the system in my experience.
-----Original Message-----
From: rhn-users-admin redhat com [mailto:rhn-users-admin redhat com] On Behalf Of Slvoel aol com
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 4:39 PM
To: rhn-users redhat com
Subject: Re: [rhn-users] HELP!! Bad blocks when installing RH9. What should I do?

I know from nothing about Linux/Red Hat but I'm puzzled by the size of the swap file.  It's my impression that it should be about twice the size of the RAM.  Should that have been 250 Mb instead of 2500?

Steve

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]