Re: [rhn-users] HELP!! Bad blocks when installing RH9. What should I do?

Hattie> One cool thing about Solaris is that they have another layer of
Hattie> indirection in the memory management and if you have enough RAM,
Hattie> you can do without *any* swap.  Eventually linux will probably get
Hattie> there as well.

Already is -- you don't *have* to have swap -- but if you need it, you'll
wish you had it... :-)

Hattie> I've often wondered why the disk drive manufacturers don't make a
Hattie> disk device specifically for a swap drive.
Hattie> They could, in fact, make a disk specifically for the OS and swap:
Hattie> one drive motor, two voice coils and head assy.

It's already been done -- IBM was building drives with two separate access
arms (and control/data paths) for its mainframes about 20 years ago.  If I
recall correctly, they weren't used for splitting OS/swap I/O loads, but to
support multi-system access to the drives.  I don't know whether they still
do this (though I'd guess not, given how there are other ways to solve this
particular problem)...

It'd make a hell of a drive for a PVR, though... :-)

                                Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/