RE: [rhn-users] HELP!! Bad blocks when installing RH9. What should I do?

See below...

Hattie Rouge

Oh, this is good news.  I hadn't run across this tidbit.  When did it
show up, do you know?

Anyone know if you can delete swap on the fly?  That's another nice
thing about Solaris.  Even on a production system you can safely delete
swap and then if you don't have enough RAM, add it back.  And yes, I've
done it on a production Oracle server.  I had enough RAM for almost all
of the workload.

> > I've often wondered why the disk drive manufacturers don't make
> > a disk device specifically for a swap drive.
> > They could, in fact, make a disk specifically for the OS and
> > swap: one drive motor, two voice coils and head assy.
>
> It's already been done -- IBM was building drives with two
> separate access arms (and control/data paths) for its
> mainframes about 20 years ago.  If I recall correctly, they
> weren't used for splitting OS/swap I/O loads, but to support
> multi-system access to the drives.  I don't know whether they
> still do this (though I'd guess not, given how there are
> other ways to solve this particular problem)...

I meant with modern drives.  I would think that a significant PC
fraction would pay a bit more to get the extra I/O performance if the
performance is significant.  That's a lot of disks...