Re: [rhn-users] The right to copy Redhat Enterprise Linux, was: Re: redhat enterpriselinux license conditions

Jeff Lasman wrote:

I'm not a lawyer, but I tend to agree with you here.  I think if you
could get the source code for everything and compile it you'd be allowed
to use that on multiple systems under the license.  And while it doesn't
matter what I think, I think Red Hat has to be willing to give you the
source code for the entire distribution.

Red Hat posts the SRPMS of all the GPL/OSS components of advanced server on their website.

Nothing prevents you from compiling these yourself and using them to build "clone" Enterprise servers. You would just have to ensure that any proprietary RH packages are *not* installed on the server in question. I don't have the RPM Manifest in front of me, so I don't know how many of these there are, or if they are required for normal server installation/operation, but if you installed only OSS SRPMS, you could not possibly violate any agreement with Red Hat. In order to use the GPL, they can't further encumber the license for the GPL components.

To see the various solutions I propose for resolving the
"one-year-of-support" issue for the "generic" Red Hat distributions, see
my previous post today.

Something else to consider - the RHAS license doesn't expire - you do *not* have to buy a license next year, you'll just lose product upgrades (and again, this doesn't apply to the GPL components).

--
Ken Snider