Re: [rhn-users] boot sequence

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 02:48, spock wrote:
> Have, Win XP on one hard-drive, and RH on separate hard-drive/ with
> separate cables linking each hard-drive to the motherboard. Had Grub
> installed in MBR. Currently when I want to use either OS- I must go
into
> BIOS and make sure The Boot Device is Either RAID/ATA133 for the Red Hat
> to be used OR IDE-0 to get WIN XP to load at boot up. If I use the
> Selection tool when RH comes up and Select WIN XP I get this error:
> RootnowervVerify (Hd0,0) Chainloader +1,Error 13 Invalid or Unsupported
> Executable format, press any key to continue, and when I do it brings me
> back to which OS to select. Currently use AMI Bios- American Megatrends.
> I have tried switching the BIOS boot process but it does not help.

I had a similar (though not exact) problem with my setup. Found that XP
doesn't like to boot from anything but hd0. I have XP on hd1 and must
map it to hd0 in the boot loader. Here's my grub.conf -- maybe it will
give you some insight
------
default=0
timeout=20
splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux 8.0 (2.4.18-27.8.0)
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-27.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-27.8.0.img
title Windows XP
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1