[rhn-users] problems with NFS mounting of home directories

I am having trouble with NFS mounting of home directories. I managed to get NIS working. I then exported the home directories of the users on the NFS server to the various NFS clients. When users try to log in they get an error an a message that the system could not create the /home/user/.gconf-test-locking-file. The login process then quits and returns to the login screen.

1) I am sure the NFS mounts are good because typing ls /home/user brings up the appropriate user's directory.
2) Logging in via telnet mounts the users directories fine. The problem only occurs when logging in via the main screen when using X11.
3) Searching google brought up the advice to make sure rpc.lockd and rpc.statd were running. The latter wasn't, but starting it (checked that is was running with rpcinfo -p localhost) and then restarting NFS made no difference. The error still occurs.

I am running redhat 8.0

Any thoughts/help appreciated.
By the way is redhat 9.0 any less buggy? Linux is such a hobby... sigh.

Darren