[rhn-users] Forgotten password

I'm having a problem rebooting my alpha.  When I try to boot (or do
anything else), I get the message "console is secure--please login."
However, none of the passwords I've used in the past seem to work.  I've
read that typing "linux single" allows one to log in and change the root
password, but linux is not recognized as a command.  Any other ideas?