Re: [rhn-users] Sources from up2date for already downloaded binaries?

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 08:47:30PM -0700, Hattie Rouge wrote:

> Hattie Rouge  <== same question
>
> I can tell you what I did which is to use rpm with an ftp argument to
> get every src.rpm.  Took about a week at an hour or so per day.

Well, I don't need all the source, but if I did, I would do the
same as you.  You are a very patient person! :)

But how do you know you're getting the source RPM that exactly
corresponds to the binaries you have already downloaded via up2date?

> I also noticed that when I use the --src flag, if a binary rpm
> needs updating, then I get both the binary and the source.  Some
> one here mentioned that src.rpm packages do not go into the rpm
> database.  So I conclude that --src is a sort of tag along.  If
> the rpm database lookup ends up doing a binary package download
> AND you have --src included, THEN you'll get the source package
> too.  Source isn't treated the same as binary.

Well then, that begs a second question: is there a way that I can
mark an already downloaded package as being outdated (without
actually uninstalling it), so that I can then run up2date to
re-download and re-install it?  If so, I could use the --src option
to get its source along with it.

> I think this question has a corollary which is "How do the
> developers get a copy of the source tree?" I assume they use CVS
> to download it. Rather than get source packages and try to keep
> them up to date, I'd be interested in setting up access to the
> latest released source tree so I could download only what I'm
> interested in when I want to look at it.

I would like the same thing.

I know that there are source RPM's all over the net, but I want to
make sure I get the _exact_ source RPM that goes with the binary
package I have previously downloaded via up2date.

Is anyone from RedHat reading this mailing list?  I'd like to know
the official, RedHat-recommended way for addressing this issue.

Thanks.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 rhn yadda-yadda-yadda org