RE: [rhn-users] Sources from up2date for already downloaded binaries?

It was boring but I figured I only had to do it once.  And once I'd done
it, someone would show me (or I'd figure out) how to automate it.

> But how do you know you're getting the source RPM that
> exactly corresponds to the binaries you have already
> downloaded via up2date?

I have to admit I don't know for sure.  The only sure way would be to
build a binary from source and compare it.  I haven't done that.  But I
have checked many of the src.rpm packages and they are the same revision
number as the binaries.  I'm pretty sure.

I also made sure I took all of them from Redhat's web site.

> > I also noticed that when I use the --src flag, if a binary
> > rpm needs updating, then I get both the binary and the
> > source.  Some one here mentioned that src.rpm packages do not
> > go into the rpm database.  So I conclude that --src is a sort
> > of tag along.  If the rpm database lookup ends up doing a
> > binary package download AND you have --src included, THEN
> > you'll get the source package too.  Source isn't treated the
> > same as binary.
>
> Well then, that begs a second question: is there a way that I
> can mark an already downloaded package as being outdated
> (without actually uninstalling it), so that I can then run
> up2date to re-download and re-install it?  If so, I could use
> the --src option to get its source along with it.

You could try to reregister your machine.  Or possibly the -p flag of
up2date is useful here.  I'm not sure.

> > I think this question has a corollary which is "How do the
> > developers get a copy of the source tree?" I assume they use
> > CVS to download it.  Rather than get source packages and try
> > to keep them up to date, I'd be interested in setting up
> > access to the latest released source tree so I could download
> > only what I'm interested in when I want to look at it.
>
> I would like the same thing.
>
> I know that there are source RPM's all over the net, but I
> want to make sure I get the _exact_ source RPM that goes with
> the binary package I have previously downloaded via up2date.

There is not a strict one-to-one mapping of binary package to source
package, you know?  This has been stated here many times.  Most
source-to-binary is 1:1 but this is not strict.  Some source packages
will build multiple binaries.

> Is anyone from RedHat reading this mailing list?  I'd like to
> know the official, RedHat-recommended way for addressing this
> issue.

No, No, No.  Doesn't have to be Official.  Anyone who knows how or can
point the direction of how to download a source tree can pipe up.  There
has to be a way and I think CVS is it.  Does one have to register as a
Developer?  Pay a fee?  What is it?  It seems like it should be as easy
as doing an unlocked check out.